Cariso at Milpitas, CA, USA

This is all about cariso's adventure in Milpitas, California of USA during Jun/Jul 2006 (3-week-stay). She flied there alone. She went for food hunting alone. She drove to work alone. Syiok! She travelled to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, San Francisco, Sausalito, Golden Gate Bridge, Hollywood, LA-Universal Studio and Santa Monica. SAN FRANCISCO is cool man! She loves it!

Sunday, July 02, 2006

My car work lunch dinner

My rental car over here. USD198/wk (excluding tax). No remote control, no power window, no auto lock. The rest of my colleagues were scared at my driving skill during the first few days. I switched on the wiper instead of the signal light whenever I wanted to make a left/right turn. I drove too near the pavement, apparently ignored that I was driving at the left hand side of the car. I nearly turned into the wrong lane for many times. Anyhow, I got no complaint about the car because its fuel consumption was low compared to the others! Haha! Who cares whether got auto lock or not uh?! :)

No matter how I still couldn’t meet the USD2x/wk budget. Sorry lah dear, I no need to go ronda cari 'makan' ah? :p

auto rental
They put me in this cubicle. So, I finally had a cubicle by my own after working for 6 years! :) All thanks to my trainer, if it was not him, I did not know how was I supposed to survive without his notebook coming in to rescue me from the 2nd week onwards. Over here the PC conditions were more zao gao than back there. Well, each of them got one pc that allowed them to access internet anytime. That's the only joy. BUT I got problem accessing my thumbdrive lah due to their OS lah, then no network support lah and etc. All in all I ended up very frustrated lah. In order to transfer some clips I took in the fab to pen, I got to go through 2-3 computers and wasted a lot of time.

I had a tough time especially the first week working here. I woke up at 4.am. and worked till 6.30p.m. The colleague whom I attached to go working at 6.30a.m. and go back home at 4.00p.m. So if I was not that early (say by 7a.m. reaching office) then by the time I go into the office (say 8.a.m.?!) he would have already come out from the fab. See?! Every night I got to check emails from hotel also (first week no notebook yet mah) in order to get ready for the next day’s ‘workload'. My colleagues saw me at night,” How come you looked so damn chann one?! go back room to rest liao lah.” I received a lot of emails from different parties asking me for this and that materials etc etc etc. I did not even have the time to switch on my hotel room’s TV until the 2nd week.



The catering truck. The canteen here did not serve food thus this catering truck will come in time everyday for us to 'hao kor'.

catering truck

Some light dinners served. The most appetizing one was the HOT DOG, but super salty! Ai……
Light dinner
After eating so many salty food during the first week, I started to cook some soup during my 2nd week.


Self-cooked soup
Dish washing machine - made me lazy. :)

万峦猪脚 Café Taiwan – Taiwan beef noodle. (181 W.Calaveras Blvd, MP, CA 95035). Not ‘original’but OK lah. From so many cuisines that I have tried, I could conclude that the beef in US is ho chiak. Very tender very soft one loh.

Beef Noodle

Second visit to Café Taiwan. My camera took the shot badly lah. In actual it looked OK and tasted good also.
San sian mian

Dumpling, lunch at The Great Mall – super salty. No good.
 fast food dumpling

I visited this restaurant twice for dinner. GOOD!! Maru Ichi Noodle House (530 Barber Lane, MP, CA 95035). Jap food. As you can see now, I ate a lot of Japanese food here hor.
 tempura soba


Milpitas Tofu House (231 West Calaveras Blvd, MP, CA 95035). This is a Korean restaurant serving this lunch set at USD9.75. I visited twice for lunch session. Sorry lah, I must elaborate here liao on this restaurant for it is special to me.


Tofu House

It comes with 5 appetizers (xiao cai) including Kimchi (a lot leh you see?!),seaweed, tau kua, vege, spicy taugeh and one egg. The claypot sure comes with tofu but different ‘ingredients’, all depends on which ingredient you choose lah. Got seafood & clam one, chicken one, mushroom one and etc. You can choose what level of spiciness you want. Even if you are eating alone, your whole table must be full one coz got so many small plates mah. If you were there later than 11.45a.m. then you will have to wait or queue liao. Keng leh! (The tofu claypot no matter what ingredient you chose also same one – very salty!)

|